Saturday, May 12, 2012

now THIS is Love



My Grandpa and Grandma Darlene
This is LOVE.

They have been married for 13 years and have not spent more than 10 hours apart from each other...
Until about a month ago. 

They both have previously lost the loves of their lives. 
And then they were brought together. 

I remember one of the last things my Grandma told me was,
"Make sure you find Grandpa a wife... 
he needs someone."
her love for him was greater than her time here.

Darlene could not be a more perfect fit. 
She has loved and lost 2 husbands ... 
and is not about to lose a 3rd. 
Not now. 

They both are in the hospital fighting hard for their health! 
 Fighting hard for each other.  To be together. 



a picture says a thousand words. 
 I don't know if I can articulate what this picture means to me 
but I will try. 

As I look at this picture

I see comfort. 
I see confidence. 
I see love. 
I see devotion. 
I see laughter. 
I see fulfillment. 
I see friendship. 
 I see lives well lived. 
I hear their smiles. 
I see trust. 
I see determination. 
I see a soft place to land. 
I see the golden rule lived out. 
I see a bond that not many people truly know.
I see dependance. 
I see co-dependance. 
I see amazing examples.
I see a relationship that I will work hard to have someday.

I've started to think about dependance. 
Co-dependance. 

When did that become a bad thing?
When did we start to want to isolate ourselves and think that independence would some how be better 
than letting people in and truly loving. 

Giving of ourselves. 
Thinking about the other person before yourself 
and finding someone who will do the same. 

They make it look so effortless. 

All that I know of their relationships is to give 150%
To put your loved one before yourself. 
Their needs are more important than yours... 
HANDS DOWN
no questions asked!

Who does this now?
I try to live my life this way. 
I want 

this kind of love. 
this kind of friendship. 
this kind of trust and admiration. 
this kind of laughter. 
this kind of devotion. 

The kind that would sit next to a bedside all day everyday 
holding her hand letting her know that SHE is what matters
her health and well being... nothing else. 

The kind that even after having a stroke and being in the hospital 
himself he still tries to get out of bed to go see her. 
The kind that when they DO FINALLY get to see each other
she looks him in the eye and says, 
"now you work hard to get better so we can be together"

They were the "sweethearts of the ICU"
now they'll be the sweethearts of the rehab facilities. 

Grandma Darlene is one of the sweetest women I know. 
Grandpa is one of the biggest studs I know
{he still flirts with the nurses and makes everyone laugh}

The last few weeks have been really rough. 

But THIS is LOVE and it will get them through. 

I don't think we realize how powerful love is. 
This kind of love. 
It brings healing and strength. 
 In the times where it's not NEEDED as much it is multiplying itself to store up for when the time comes. 

It always comes. 

We all need love. 

So please build and don't tear down. 
Please speak life instead of death. 
Please kiss each other instead of just wanting to. 
Please talk when you want to be silent. 
Please laugh... A LOT. 
There are too many things that love can bring to let love go.

Don't seclude yourself. Reach out.
Give. 

Hope you're inspired.  
I know I am by their love!

2 comments:

Inspector Clouseau said...

Nice blog work, and the shot of the couple is special. I came across your blog while “blog surfing” using the Next Blog button on the Nav Bar located at the top of my blogger.com site. I frequently just travel around looking for other blogs which exist on the Internet, and the various, creative ways in which people express themselves. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Usually I avoid that "lovey-dovey" stuff, but that's really inspiring.