Monday, July 14, 2008

Trying...

To Turn Over A New Leaf

So organization has never been one of my strong points. (understatement right?)

Last Thursday I had a dear friend come over to help me go through some of my stuff, to help me "de-clutter" my life. We spent 4 hours on it and barely scraped the surface. We got rid of a few bags of garbage and she got 2 bags of clothes... so it worked for both of us.

My dad has always talked about "having systems" we tend to tease him about it, but I'm finding myself CRAVING systems in my house now.

I've gotten good advice that when I leave my car to take something in with me. And when I come home from a trip to unpack right away - no matter how tired I am. Having a day set each week for laundry - no matter how much or little I have. Things like that, that are common sense to some people - for some reason don't connect in my head. It's time to be a big girl now and take care of these things!

I am a clutter FREAK. I hate it. I hate when it's around. But not enough to do something about it. Those who know me can attest that my room has been clean about 5% of my life. I don't know if I should be admitting this to the public... BUT maybe it's part of the turning?

I don't want to be a clutter freak. I don't want to be a pack rat. Is there a support group for this? If there is I should sign up for it. That's what I need - something else that I'd be waisting time talking about my "problem" instead of just taking care of it! Hopefully the leaf will be flipped soon.

I always say "when ____________ happens I'll start being organized". Really? It's just time to start! I've lived in denial for so long...

Can't change where I've been. I can work on the things that are worth working on. This is worth working on! - I may always tend toward being messy... that's ok with me - it's who I've been and where I've been - BUT that doesn't give me an excuse to stay there.

If you've got any pointers... I'm all ears!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Tooootally feel ya there. I'd like to think that I've developed a decent balance on these parts of life, and I have. But it is struggle at times. I find that the bits here and there help a lot. Just folding or hanging up some clothes, or making your bed in the morning. Now that I realize it, making my bed in the morning does a lot. It gives a better appearance, which is half of what is so annoying about 'clutter'; it's an area to throw things - things to put away before sleeping, and its nice not having to straighten up the sheets before hopping in it at night (or in my case morning - overnights, yea!).

As far as house stuff goes it's sort of the same thing. I'll do some dishes or all the dishes depending on how long I feel like washing, but I'll at least wash a few if there's some there. Or trash or laundry. But if a specific day-of-the-week routine works best in keeping organized, then pick one out. (Might I suggest Tuesday? Get the week goin clean? But not too early in the week. Monday's got enough issues already.)

In all I think it's great! It'll take some work to become routine, as all habit making/breaking does. But definitely worth it. Just having *some* organization and non-clutter feels good. So start small and build from there...

Blessings, luck, tenacity, desire for "a new leaf," and ice cream (b/c everybody needs ice cream).
Love ya!
jdw