Monday, March 9, 2009

the plane ride home - March 6th 2009

This is the first time I haven’t been able to sleep on a plane. I don’t know if it’s because I just don’t want to fall asleep – because that means I’ll have to wake up and know that it is for real…

I have an empty seat on the plane next to me. Which is nice for space sake. I’m glad Krista isn’t next to me – because that would mean her time there would be over also… but I wish I was next to her. I wanted to ask the pilot if he could just turn the plane around – just like I had to ask the shuttle bus driver to do – because I forgot my camera. I think I was in denial that I was going home – so I was completely disorganized in my packing on my way home. It was sort of like a scene from a movie… I realized I didn’t have it – and being my mother’s daughter I HAD to get it! There were pictures I hadn’t downloaded to my computer yet. I thought that I had left my phone – but I could live with out that… and have it sent to me – or get a new one… but my camera – there was no way I could leave that. I had to run off of the bus and set up a meeting place with the bus driver – because he had other stops to make and GET IT.

I ran upstairs to the 3rd floor to what I thought was Krista’s new room… I knocked and no one answered. So I went to Danii’s room (one of our Canadian friends) – but she wasn’t there. So I panicked and went to the front desk. I ran into some other girls from IEP – they had a phone – but I couldn’t remember Krista’s “numba”. Krista and I had been to the front desk about 7 times today…so I asked the girl that had helped us if she could tell me my sister’s room number… she looked it up (with out me giving her our name) and shouted it out – she could tell I was frazzled. I ran up to 319 (not 322) which was 2 doors down and was the door I was knocking on previously… SO CLOSE – she answered, “just a minute” I said, “Babe it’s me” She was like, “SUZ?? What are you doing here?” Total movie scene. I had been crying so much and told her that she said she couldn’t stop crying either… We were both tear faced… I told her everything, found my camera – and asked her to come with me to meet the shuttle.

We were worried for a bit that it wasn’t going to come. But he did! PTL!! We hugged one last time for now. And both started crying. I don’t know why we’re both were so emotional. We’ve done stuff like this before. Her going to college – going on Mission Trips… There is something about traveling to another country and experiencing things together with your best friend… that words can’t express… and you don’t want the experiences to end. You want to be along for the ride! It was the hardest good bye that I’ve had so far…

I’m so excited for her continued time there. I know that everything happens for a reason – and that I’m going home and she’s staying there for a reason. I know that I need to “clean house”. I need to pay off my debt – and as quickly as possible… now I feel like I have motivation I have a reason to focus. I have a goal.

I want to go back. I need to go back. It feels like home there. I don’t know what all is there for me – but there is a huge expectation… Island living is definitely for me!!

No comments: