Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Direction

starts with a step. 

you don't have to know the end result to take the first step - you just need to follow the direction as it's presented. 

I tend to want to control things in my life.  To know where I'm going and what the end result will be.
But that's not necessarily where I should be.

I'm learning about trust.  Trusting God's direction for my life. 
He knows the steps I need to take.
He takes them for me.
It may be cliche to think of the footprints in the sand - but that picture comes to my head.
I don't really know the poem - and I don't really want to look it up, to post it here... I can just see the picture in my head. 

It starts off with two sets of footprints... and then they dwindle to one set of footprints. 

Sometimes we think that those are OUR footprints and we're alone.  But it is really where God is holding us.  He's carrying us. He is bringing us through. 

I want to be held and carried to go in the direction that He wants me to go.

He has designed each of us with gifts and abilities to bring out the best in each other.  To walk with each other and encourage each other.  I am so thankful for the opportunities in my life and that I don't have to control or manipulate a situation to go the way I want it to go.  I can just take the first step and trust.  I can walk next to and with my Lord and know that when I NEED to be carried - he will gladly hold me. 

And when I need direction. 
He will give it and I'll gladly receive it.

I am about to go through big transitions again and I am in a place where I can ONLY trust! 

It's a safe place to be!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Footprints

One night I had a dream--
I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord
and across the sky flashed scenes from my life.
For each scene I noticed two sets of footprints,
one belonged to me and the other to the Lord.
When the last scene of my life flashed before me,
I looked back at the footprints in the sand.
I noticed that many times along the path of my life,
there was only one set of footprints.
I also noticed that it happened at the very lowest
and saddest times in my life.
This really bothered me and I questioned the Lord about it.
"Lord, you said that once I decided to follow you,
you would walk with me all the way,
but I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life
there is only one set of footprints.
"I don't understand why in times when I needed you most,
you should leave me."
The Lord replied, "My precious, precious child,
I love you and I would never, never leave you
during your times of trial and suffering.
"When you saw only one set of footprints,
it was then that I carried you."

...Mary Stevenson
http://www.amandashome.com/footprints.html

Unknown said...

I love this Suz! I am so glad to be able to catch up on your blogs right now :)