Wednesday, September 23, 2009

the "box" I don't fit into

MOMs Group.
I'm not a mom. I'm single. and NOT close to marriage or having kids.

A dear friend of mine asked me to join the "MOMs Group" at her church.

She said, "we don't really talk about 'Mom stuff' or marriage too often... mostly just girl stuff. So ANYONE can come."

I told my DF that as long as I didn't have a closing scheduled I'd be there (weekly)!
I LOVE getting together with "the girls" whoever - wherever - whenever.

I've gone 3 times now. And my friend was completely WRONG... ;O)

My first time going was last year - where the topic was "Emotional Affairs" - totally for married people. Now this year the topic is definitely about PARENTING... every week.

I know my DF wasn't lying to me when she invited me... I just take what they talk about and apply it to where I'm at in life.

Going to "MOMs Group" has shown me though how much we as a culture, or maybe women like things to fit, into our perfectly painted boxes.

It was interesting to see/hear people's reaction when they found out I don't have kids.

1st week:
"Suzy... what are YOU doing here? You're not a MOM..."
2nd week:
trying to be tactful
"So I'm kind of confused... you're not a MOM, so why would you WANT to come to a MOMs Group?"
2nd person 2nd week:
"So what ages are your kids? ... Oh. ... So you're engaged? Close to marriage? ... Have a boyfriend? ... Oh. ... Well it's good to have you here!" :O)

I'm not saying ANY of this to complain about MOMs Group. at all. Actually just the opposite. I love it.

Being on the other side of "a group" has made me realize how important what we say, how we say it - and how we accept people is. It can completely turn someone off or on and we may not even know it. I think we need to be more aware of the boxes we create. If someone or something doesn't "fit" how do we handle it? How do I handle it?

SO... someday I'll be a mom. And people won't ask why I'm at a MOMs Group. But until then I'll continue to enjoy where I'm at - outside the box.

3 comments:

Ali said...

I hear ya being "OUTSIDE" that moms group.

Traci said...

hahaha! Oooops! You're a brave girl! =)

Jen said...

If I saw you at mom's group, you know all I'd say is "HI SUZY!!!" Then again, what box have I ever fit into??!! ;)