Monday, August 1, 2011

a story of forgiveness

I've shared this story with many people and am surprised when one of my close friends hasn't heard it.  I thought I would blog about it.  In case you ... who ever you are, wherever you are need a bit of encouragement in this area.  I pray that it touches and draws out a deep part of your soul that you may not have known or acknowledged before. 

Come with me to when I was about 10 years old. 

We're standing in my kitchen staring out into my backyard.  It was fenced in with a silver swing set. I had been hurt quite deeply and was praying.  I was praying for the person who hurt me.  Nothing specific - just praying.

I saw a picture in my head of this person standing in front of me - being choked by a thick rope. They were trying to pull it off - gasping for air.  I had a thought in my head clear as day, "that rope is your unforgiveness." 

I looked closer.  I didn't want them to suffer or gasp for air.  Then I saw a picture of the thick rope being sliced from their neck.  The cut was so distinct. One big sharp strike and the rope fell to the ground.  I had a thought in my head, again clear as day again, "that is your forgiveness..."

"it is your unforgiveness that keeps them bound.  We give tools to be used in others' lives and our own... in our choice to forgive or not."

This picture has been engraved in my memory so distinctly, it feels like I'm a 10 years old choosing to forgive again.

Forgiveness does NOT mean that the pain that has been caused to us is OK.  It brings the BEST.  In your life and in theirs.  It brings LIFE and a joy the you never thought you could feel.  A peace that passes all of our understanding.

Since that day staring out my kitchen door to the backyard I have seen a difference in their life... and in mine. 

I wish that none of us knew pain... but through pain we would choose to forgive.  It cuts the ropes that choke and bind.

This is one of my Stories of forgiveness.

No comments: