Friday, September 23, 2011

"Why Pray?."

a person dear to me and instrumental in my life
asked this question.

"why pray?"

I was a bit surprised at the question and they were too.
they wondered why they were asking it but didn't run from it.
they pursued the answer.

knowing that asking this question 
is not questioning God or their faith
it is a fair question and that no question is too big of a question.


"If God is 
Omnipotent {all powerful}
Omniscient {all wise and all knowing}
Omnipresent {always present}


why do we pray - when He can just DO THINGS.  
He can DO whatever He wants."


The answer that my dear friend got was:


"Everything has got a Natural progression. 
Cause and Effect. 
If one thing happens - there is a natural response.


PRAYING CAN CHANGE THAT NATURAL RESPONSE OR PROGRESSION. "

I like that. I experienced it yesterday. 

{this BLOG is 2 parts - started 2 weeks and sat as a draft until now.  I didn't know where I wanted to go with it.  The words weren't coming - I'm going a completely different way now than when I started writing - because I've experienced something that I believe proves it's true} so stay with me if you can...


Thursday morning 9/22/11
I got to work @ 7:30 - parked my car in the same place I do everyday.
I grabbed my belongings and went in.
{I saw my computer out of the corner of my eye - but didn't grab it.  It was on the floor of the passenger side}

Our center is making a transition to using more environmentally friendly cleaning products that will also save on expenses... one of the teachers asked when they would get their mop for their room. That I forgot in my car - so I ran to my car "quickly" to get it.

Little did I know that when I went to my car for the mop this would be what I found.






I was in shock.
my car didn't look like MY CAR I wondered for a second if it even was my car.
but I KNEW that it was.
Those moments replay in my mind in slow motion.
seconds felt like hours.
I ran into the building to let the director know that my car had been broken into
and my laptop was gone.
The police were immediately called and I called my insurance company


Through out this time people were giving me hugs saying they were praying for me.
Praying that it would all work out how it's supposed to!
I cried a little - but then went into survival mode.

It took almost an hour for the cop to get there.
He was very nice, calm and sweet.
He helped with everything and told me to call them with the serial number and he'd let me know as he knew anything but it would probably be at least a day or more.

I went home to find the serial number for my computer.
I asked my dad if he could help me find it.
He was pretty upset that someone would do this {as a papa bear is}.
We searched for a little while and he told me after I found it,
"I was reminded to forgive whoever did this... though I didn't FEEL like forgiving them - I chose to"
I yelled out "Found It!"
this was seconds after he decided to forgive them.

I called the cops with the serial number - so if it showed up in a pawn shop they would have it listed as missing.  The Cop said that this was probably the best thing that could happen.  I asked him,  "about what percentage of missing computers come back?" and he said, "I haven't seen one come back in a case like this.'

My personality has typically been one that worries.  Quite a bit.
I would mask it with "I'm just looking out for people"
but worrying is not a good thing.  What good will it bring.
This is a change that's been taking place in my life. 

On 9/22/11 I did not worry. 
I was concerned about what I would do if it wasn't returned - but I didn't worry.


I prayed, 
"Lord, whoever took my computer - STOP THEM IN THEIR TRACKS.  Make them distracted or do something they weren't planning on doing - and bring my computer back."

I had no doubt in my mind that I would get it back.
There was a Peace that goes beyond what I understand - that the Bible says we can have.
I had it!

I drove back to the center to take care of things there.
A man came to fix my window right away {that was awesome}

AND THEN I GOT A CALL...

"Ms. Wigstadt, It's Officer __________.  How is your afternoon going?"
"I'm good besides the fact that I don't have a window in my car and my computer is gone... but you know..."
"Well... it's about to get A LOT better."
"What...?  Shut Up!  They found my lap top!!?  Are you saying they found my laptop?"
"We've got your computer!  It's exactly how you described it."


That morning on the ride into work I was singing, "You make all things work together for my good" over and over.  I love that song.  There are days that I believe that with all of my heart and there are days that believing it or accepting it is harder.  It wasn't hard today.  I started off the day knowing and enjoying the fact that no matter what would happen that "all things work together for the good of those who love him"... Man I love Him!

I went down to the police station and got my computer.
They had also taken a few more things.
I got it ALL BACK!  Yesterday!  With in hours of when it happened.
{They said this NEVER happens} :)

The NATURAL PROGRESS in a situation like this is:
Something is stolen.
You report it.
Can take forever to get it reported and for follow up.
Usually you don't get it back.
File an insurance claim.
Pay a deductible.
Never FULLY get back what you've lost. But it is replaced.

Prayer was the tool for God to intervene and MAKE {HE MAKES ALL THINGS WORK TOGETHER FOR OUR GOOD} he does it... not the prayer - prayer is just the tool for Him to do it!

What DID happen is:
a couple {1 male, 1 female} broke into my care between 9:00 - 9:20am
stole my lap top etc.
went to another car in a town home complex a few miles away
they were rummaging through a car and an elderly man saw them
it was HIS car
he confronted them and asked what they were doing
they drove off
the elderly man got the license plate number
man called the cops.
the cops found the car
called it in and SAW MY laptop 
they called me and said that they had it.

While they were trying to steal from someone else
we were praying that they would be stopped in their tracks and my possessions returned.

With out prayer - I believe that natural cause and effect happen.  There is a natural course and progression that life takes.  We make choices and the results of the choices shouldn't really surprise us.  I believe God can save us even when we make choices outside of his will.

His will is that none of us should perish.
His will is that we would have abundant life and live it to the fullest.
His will is that the JOY of the Lord would be our strength.
His will is that we would love Him because He first loved us.

He shows me His love in so many small ways through out the day.
and in the HUGE things like protecting my livelihood.  

I am so thankful that Prayer can and DOES change the Natural Course and progression of life!

I've got my "babies" back.
Stella {my car} is fixed.
she's so much prettier with out a smashed window.
My laptop is being used to type this BLOG and upload and edit images.

Thank you for your prayers.
"why pray?." 
because it changes things!



2 comments:

Traci said...

EEEeeeeek! So true!!!!
Love this post! Love seing what God has done in your life in the last 24 hours!!!

Marzel said...

Wow that is a crazy. I am so sorry you had to go through that. I am glad that everything worked out in the end.