Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Day 11: of {30 till 30}

It is better to give than to receive.  acts 20:35
nothing looks the same
a year ago
i left this building in a wheelchair and in confusion.
today i walked in on my own, with hope

the room i once knew as home is now just a number. 502
it is a place that kept me.
it was a place where i began to heal.
it is a place i will never forget
and nothing looks the same




 I walked into Fairview Ridges Hospital today.
Took the elevator up to the 5th floor holding 2 boxes of these mugs
{thank you RVC SPARKLE} 
 I had a grin on my face - being able to give back to the people that cared for me!

I got to the nurses station and set the boxes down and said,

"Hi... I'm Suzy. um...I was here as a patient and was released a year ago Today.  I just wanted to bring you these to say thank you for all of your care and/or to give them to any patients who really need encouragement."

One nurse said, "Wait... I recognize you!  You're the migraine girl.  I worked with you." Then she called over a couple nurse friends, "It's the migraine girl... - You're looking GOOD!  Different from the last time we saw you."

I laughed and said, "I HOPE I look different from the last time you saw me."
the nurse answered, "Yah... you were in pretty rough shape."

I told them about my experience there - that I don't really remember it until the last days that I was there.  I remember certain things - but that they are more like dreams than reality.  I told them how I didn't know specifically who people were - but that they were "MINE" there was comfort and peace and a connection that is on a soul level.  I couldn't speak and wasn't very mobile.  How I remember everything is equal to a new born baby.  They eat. sleep. and go poo.  That's what I did.  I was only awake or aware for a certain amount of time - then I would be knocked out.  Everything took so much out of me.  I could laugh and smile and wink {I think}.  I could reach for someone's hand or face - but couldn't verbally communicate.

The group of nurses grew as we were talking - so I told my story a few times and each time the new nurse to the group would say, "You should really write a book."  The first time one of the nurses said that I said with a HUGE SMILE "Thank you!  I am!!"  So each time it was repeated the nurses would say "SHE IS!"







I am grateful that I went back.
It is closure for me.
And an opening to NEW _______________.
Today was a BIG DAY.
this year has held A LOT.
A lot of "unexpecteds".
{I know that's not a word - but I like it}

I never would have guessed what would go wrong.
I never could have dreamed what would go right.

If you would have told me 2 years ago that this would all happen.
I wouldn't choose any differently.
{except that the people I love had to see what they saw and go through what they went through}

but FOR ME.
I now have a greater awareness of myself.
I now have a greater love for myself and for other people.
There is a compassion and understanding that life is SO FRAGILE.
We're not guaranteed another breath.
That there's no other way to live, than to love deeply and to give everything.

I am excited to see what 30 will hold.
I'm learning to truly live each day to the fullest.

It is truly more blessed to give than it is to receive.
In giving we receive so much more in return!

THANK YOU - to the 5th Floor nurses and staff!  
Keep doing what you're doing. 
You are changing lives!


{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}


PART TWO

I have to write the words of this card - perfection.

One more birthday
One more candle
One more wish 
For you to handle. 

One year better
One year braver
Lots more memories
For you to savor. 

One year wiser
One year bolder
Calmer, Cooler
{not just older}

One year smarter
One year stronger
{whew! your list
keeps getting longer}

One year happier
Freer, Truer
Hopes are higher
Fears are fewer.
One whole year
Of reasons to 
Celebrate life
and Celebrate You!

Thank you Love!
You have been like a sister to me too.
I'm so glad Krista went to Evangel - if only to meet you. 
You bring so much joy and laughter.
I love the times we get to see each other IN PERSON...
It definitely should happen more
thoughts about moving to Minny?

Thank you for your Birthday wishes and love!
another cabin date with the girls would be fun...
I promise I won't hug you ... at least not after a game ;)
RRRRRRRrrrrrRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr





No comments: